3800 MEGA-COUPLING® Restrained Coupling
The Series 3800 is an economical solution that couples similar or dissimilar water or wastewater plain-end pipes together while also providing restraint to the coupled pipe joints. It consists of a coupling body with Mechanical Joint gasket cavities, two MEGALUG® Mechanical Joint Restraints, two EBAA-SEAL® Improved Mechanical Joint Gaskets* and an array of double ended thrust rods.
3854DI being installed on 54-inch Ductile Iron Pipe
Reasons for Development
While there are many couplings on the market, very few are designed to be restrained. Typically, most choices for restraining a coupling required the use of an unrestrained coupling then harness up and over which can be cumbersome or utilize Mechanical Joint (MJ) restraints on a ductile iron fitting such as a MJ by MJ Cut in Sleeve. Also, many other “restrained” couplings on the market are limited in size or pipe material they can grip. Neither of these solutions are quick to install or economical. With the demand increasing for restrained couplings EBAA IRON setout to develop what would become the Series 3800 MEGA-COUPLING. A way to not only couple but also restrain pipelines against the forces generated by the hydrostatic pressure.
The Series 3800 can couple and restrain the following pipe types and sizes:
- Ductile Iron Pipe, nominal pipe sizes 4-inch through 54-inch (60-inch sizes coming soon)
- C900-16 PVC Pipe, nominal pipe sizes 4-inch through 36-inch
- ASTM D2241 PVC Pipe, nominal pipe sizes 4-inch through 12-inch
- Carbon Steel Pipe, nominal pipe sizes 4-inch through 12-inch
- HDPE Pipe, nominal pipe sizes 4-inch through 12 inch**
The 3800 has a minimum safety factor of 2 to 1 and is constructed of:
- Restraining Rings – ASTM A536 Ductile Iron
- Coupling Sleeve, coated with an NSF61 Fusion Bonded Epoxy
- 4-inch through 12-inch – ASTM A536 Ductile Iron
- 14-inch and greater sizes – Carbon Steel
- Double Ended Thrust Rods – Standard is the corrosion resistant, low alloy high strength steel per ANSI/AWWA C111/A21.11 while the same rods and nuts are avaialble but with the blue coated FluoroKote® as well as stainless steel rods and nuts.
The coupling also meets or exceeds the applicable requirements of:
- AWWA C219
- ASTM A536
- ANSI/AWWA C111/A21.11
- ASTM D2000
Specifying the Proper Series Configuration for Your Application
4-inch through 12-inch
For Nominal Pipe Sizes 4 inch through 12 inch the Series 3800 MEGA-COUPLING utilizes a common restraint ring for Ductile Iron Pipe (DIP), C900-16 PVC Pipe, ASTM D2241 PVC Pipe (IPS), Carbon Steel Pipe, and HDPE Pipe (with internal pipe wall stiffener for HDPE). The only item that needs to be specified during the order process for 4 inch through 12 inch is what type of gasket is required for joint assembly for the various pipe O.D.’s:
- 3800S for coupling either DIP, C900-16 PVC and or DIP O.D. HDPE Pipe
- 3800T for coupling either Carbon Steel and or ASTM D2241 PVC
- 3800ST for coupling either DIP, C900-16 PVC or DIP O.D. HDPE Pipe on one side and either Carbon Steel or ASTM D2241 PVC on the other side
14-inch through 54-inch
For Nominal Pipe sizes 14 inch and above the Series 3800 MEGA-COUPLING utilizes the Series 1100 MEGALUG® restraint on DIP and the Series 2000PV MEGALUG restraint on C900-16 PVC. Since the O.D. of both DIP and C900-16 PVC is the same, the EBAA-SEAL™ Improved Mechanical Joint Gasket is provided.
- 3800DI for coupling DIP
- 3800PV for coupling C900-16 PVC
- 3800DIPV for coupling one side DIP and other C900-16 PVC
*Transition Gaskets are available for pipe with ASTM D2241 O.D.
**HDPE pipe with C900 or DI Pipe O.D. and requires an internal pipe wall stiffener.
Since introducing its first patented product in 1968, EBAA has continued to lead the way in innovative products for the water and wastewater industry that are engineered to save time and money. EBAA is the only manufacturer of the world famous MEGALUG® Mechanical Joint Restraint. EBAA specializes in water and waste-water pipeline joints and is 100% MADE IN THE USA.